And things that Fish always wanted to answer!

Fish's answer - Fish album sales figures

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am

I was wondering which Fish albums have had the largest sales. Does anybody know if figures are published?

Re: Fish Album Sales Figures

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:59 am

Its an interesting question.
I subscribe to Music Week which is a music industry paper which publishes UK sales figures albums, singles, downloads etc .
There were some interesting figures for the top selling artists of the decade. Obviously Fish etc are unfortunately not in that league.
However these are only for the best selling albums/artists. I dont know if there is someone somewhere collecting all this information for every artist ?

I often wonder how many albums artists like Fish, Marillion etc sell in the UK and worldwide and if those figures are actually recorded.
I get the impression that Marillion need to be constantly recording and playing live just to make a living.

It would also be interesting to know how much artists get from the sale of a CD or download. Its probably a very small amount which is why its best to buy Fish CDs and merchandise directly from Fish so that more of the money goes directly to him

But I guess noone is likely to divulge this sort of information ? Maybe DocBob could find out ????

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Teddynonose wrote:Its an interesting question.
I subscribe to Music Week which is a music industry paper which publishes UK sales figures albums, singles, downloads etc .
There were some interesting figures for the top selling artists of the decade. Obviously Fish etc are unfortunately not in that league.
However these are only for the best selling albums/artists. I dont know if there is someone somewhere collecting all this information for every artist ?

I often wonder how many albums artists like Fish, Marillion etc sell in the UK and worldwide and if those figures are actually recorded.
I get the impression that Marillion need to be constantly recording and playing live just to make a living.

It would also be interesting to know how much artists get from the sale of a CD or download. Its probably a very small amount which is why its best to buy Fish CDs and merchandise directly from Fish so that more of the money goes directly to him

But I guess noone is likely to divulge this sort of information ? Maybe DocBob could find out ????

Hi

"Vigil" was the best selling solo album by a long shot at around 500 000.

The curve started to drop with "Internal" and then plummetted with "Songs from the Mirror" and the Polydor years.

When I went independent I knew I would struggle.

"Sunsets " managed about 75 000 and "Raingods" managed about 70 000

Field of Crows only hit about 50 000

and surprisingly "13th Star" only managed about 40 000

Thankfully having my own mail order system and direct sales on tours makes up for the lost numbers in sales.

Digital downloads don't pay that much with the usual middle men etc whittling away at earnings to the point where zeroes precede the numbers to the right hand side of the digital point on too many occasions.

Earning a living as a musician is a lot harder these days and with the amount of piracy and copying around it will get tougher in a recession as people can't afford albums.

Being solo is a bonus as I don't have a 5 way split or management commission and after I pay session fees and the recording costs whatever left over is my own.

As I don't have high overheads I can make it work and give myself a fairly good lifestyle when combined with the royalties I still get from the old days with Marillion.

Having the vocal problems and the operation with it's healing time hit me hard and effectively I haven't been able to create or perform music for a year.

I have been totally reliant on back catalogue sales through the web site and in a recession that is a hard call.

I am not a dreamer and have cut my cloth appropriately.
There is no easy solution to the problem for me or anyone.

Some say spend more on promotion but I spent a lot of money promoting "13th Star" and as such it was one of the poorest earners for years.It's a mistake I will not be repeating.

It's not all doom and gloom and I have a very cunning plan for the rest of this year and beyond which will take in two books and two albums and sporadic touring right up to the end of 2011.

I don't get despondent about sales and as long as I am producing quality albums and not being foolish or over optimistic with projected sales and throwing money on vain promotional activities then I can continue to make this work as long as my fan base is there and supports me.

It's hard, it's very hard and the last 8 months and the forthcoming 4 months until I can confidently consider singing live again have been lean and will be leaner.

I've been eating into my stores for a while and need to get out there and working again.
It's frustrating and sometimes depressing but I have to keep fighting on and finding new visions.

I am luckier than a lot of people out there and don't feel sorry for myself.

You may read some posts from me and think "oh that's it, he's gone"

I'm not dead yet

by a long shot :D

Onkel Fish

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi Fish

What a great answer especially as I wasnt expecting any answer at all.

Thats a real surprise re 13th Star.
In my opinion its one of the best albums ever made and should be heard by millions.
So unfair when Susan Boyle sold millions of her cover versions worldwide in a matter of weeks.

Do you know how well the Marillion albums did in terms of sales worldwide ? Misplaced Childhood must have sold 6 figures ?

Thank you.

TNN

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Teddynonose wrote:Do you know how well the Marillion albums did in terms of sales worldwide ? Misplaced Childhood must have sold 6 figures ?

These figures are already out of date - I picked them up from an answer that Lucy gave on the Marillion forum a while ago.
Script For A Jester's Tear: 1,100,000
Fugazi: 800,000
Reel to Real: 500,000
Misplaced Childhood: 2,150,000
Clutching At Straws: 1,300,000
La Gazza Ladra: 1,100,000

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Its good to know that they did so well .

I'm sure that the millions of people who bought those Marillion albums would love 13th Star.
Where have all these people gone ?
Do they know what they are missing?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:47 pm

Well I luved the old Marillion when Fish was with them, and Vigil, Internal exile etc, but I got to admit, 13th star never did it for me, I bought it, listened alot, but its wasnt for me. Glad to read Fish's honesty , again, Yipppee, a tour!!!!!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:06 pm

mar wrote:Well I luved the old Marillion when Fish was with them, and Vigil, Internal exile etc, but I got to admit, 13th star never did it for me, I bought it, listened alot, but its wasnt for me. Glad to read Fish's honesty , again, Yipppee, a tour!!!!!

I feel similiar. I have listened to excerpts of each song from 13th Star several times and live and apart from some of what I see as the rockier tracks like Manchmal I'm not that keen.I don't like what I see as the ballads much. Just an opinion!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Firstly - chuffed to bits to get an answer from the man himself
secondly - considering the music industry is surrounded with so much BS, it's so refreshing to get such honest & frank answers from Fish.
thirdly - More to come from Fish - Brilliant
Fourthly - Looks like winter is over!!!

What a day!!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 pm

dazed wrote:
mar wrote:Well I luved the old Marillion when Fish was with them, and Vigil, Internal exile etc, but I got to admit, 13th star never did it for me, I bought it, listened alot, but its wasnt for me. Glad to read Fish's honesty , again, Yipppee, a tour!!!!!

I feel similiar. I have listened to excerpts of each song from 13th Star several times and live and apart from some of what I see as the rockier tracks like Manchmal I'm not that keen.I don't like what I see as the ballads much. Just an opinion!

Just shows how opinions differ. 13th Star is a grower. I think is stands up alongside with Script, Fugazi, Childhood and Straws
There are some great rockers on there. SquareGo particularly.
Next

Full Version