And things that Fish always wanted to answer!

Re: Fish's answer - Fish album sales figures

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 am

Some great discussion above and some excellent points.
In my opinion 13th Star is as good as the first 4 Marillion albums, yet only a very small fraction who bought Misplaced Childhood have bought 13th Star. One would have thought that the millions who bought those albums would be impressed if they heard 13th Star or indeed any of the excellent Fish albums ?

My 18 year old son loves his music and buys a lot of CDs but he tells me that most of his friends have ipods full of music that they haven't paid for. Each week I read Music Week and there are always articles about the industry's concern for music piracy, free downloads and file sharing. Apparently album sales are going down. But occasionally some artists seem to still sell alot whether ACDC, Muse and Coldplay or Lady Gaga, Cheryl Cole, Leona Lewis, Sade, Susan Boyle... WHY :?:

My son says he only likes to spend up to £5 for a CD and he manages to do quite well at shops like HMV who do a lot of "Buy 2 for £10".
Now I am quite happy to pay up to £10 for an album, when they were around £15 I though twice about parting with my money.
The cost of music has fallen alot over the past few years. I dont believe that people cant afford £10 for an album its just a lot of people particularly in the 18-30 age group dont like paying for something they know they can get for nothing.

I'm not in the music industry so I dont know the answers. I guess that it helps to have a big record company to do promotion. As Fish is an independent he needs promotion from elsewhere
I listen alot to Planet Rock and also subscribe to Classic Rock magazine. Both are growing in terms of listeners and readers. When the PR presenters get behind an artist that artist seems to do very well. The most obvious example of this recently is Joe Bonamassa who is about to release a new album which is destined to sell well as its currently top of the pre release sales charts. Other rock artsists to recently benefit from PR and Classic Rock magazine are Chickenfoot and Them Crooked Vultures.
As Fish is a former award winning PR presenter perhaps Planet Rock maybe his best option for future publicity. PR often play Fish era Marillion perhaps they are the best option for future promotion ?

I have always thought that Square Go is the strongest track on 13th Star and I would be happy to hear Planet Rock play it numerous times a day.

Well thats my tuppence worth !

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Teddynonose wrote:Some great discussion above and some excellent points.

thats really what the forum is about... not the games and word play, though they do play a part.... but a bunch of people, fans of Fish, getting down to some good humoured but serious chat..... funnily though just now with things so quiet up north, its games that are prevalent here....

(not that I wish to discourage the participation in the games - but I do miss the frank, open and friendly discussions......)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:02 pm

docbob wrote: - but I do miss the frank, open and friendly discussions......)

.....is that the frank, open and friendly discussions about my somewhat less than average stature ;)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Oh no we're back onto hobbits and orcs :lol:

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:50 am

And trolls. Don't forget the trolls!! :)

But yeah, the games and somewhat "frivolous" threads serve to maintain some momentum until there is something more newsworthy to comment upon!

Speaking of which, where's that latest blog?! :D

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:59 am

Rich1 wrote:

.....is that the frank, open and friendly discussions about my somewhat less than average stature ;)

those were not discussions... your hobbitness is well understood by all and not open to debate... :lol:

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:47 am

Conan wrote:And trolls. Don't forget the trolls!! :)

But yeah, the games and somewhat "frivolous" threads serve to maintain some momentum until there is something more newsworthy to comment upon!

Speaking of which, where's that latest blog?! :D

I have a couple of "non frivilous" discussions to start but they may have to wait til tomorrow

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Conan wrote:Speaking of which, where's that latest blog?! :D

On it's way to the mailing list now!

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:55 pm

I was about to say the same thing!

It's like he read your mind... Spooky!

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:50 pm

docbob wrote:
Rich1 wrote:

those were not discussions... your hobbitness is well understood by all and not open to debate... :lol:

Just remember I have the penguin photo original ;)
Next

Full Version