And things that Fish always wanted to answer!

Re: Fish's answer - Fish album sales figures

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:59 am

I think it's bad enough, if the parasites download their Rihannas and Britneys, but what Fish fan does that? I mean, we're adults with jobs, do we really need to become criminals to save maybe an hour's pay on the music we like? Especially as we have the privilege of buying directly from the source.

I wonder if these thieves then have the nerve to come to the gigs and have a good time like those who actually participate of making it all possible. Maybe the next thing is, that they start putting scanned concert tickets into the torrents, so that everyone can print a copy for themselves.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Dr. Finlay wrote:I think it's bad enough, if the parasites download their Rihannas and Britneys, but what Fish fan does that? I mean, we're adults with jobs, do we really need to become criminals to save maybe an hour's pay on the music we like? Especially as we have the privilege of buying directly from the source.

I wonder if these thieves then have the nerve to come to the gigs and have a good time like those who actually participate of making it all possible. Maybe the next thing is, that they start putting scanned concert tickets into the torrents, so that everyone can print a copy for themselves.

Welcome Dr Finlay !
A very strong but very welcome opinion in these parts.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 pm

It's a good point and well made.

Sadly though, it's all too available these days, even my six year old daughter (Kayleigh) knows where to find illegal stuff. She pointed me in the direction of one place, and I could literally get anything should I choose to do so.

I'm not into illegal downloads, so not sure how this is going to work, but apparently your ISP can now detect when you do it, and after three, can remove your internet access. Let's hope this is the case.

Back on the OT, I find Misplaced to be a lower figure than I expected, while Script a higher. Kayleigh gets a fairly regular play on my local BBC station, I wonder what royalties Fish gets from each play...... (Bet it's next to nothing)

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Dr. Finlay wrote:I think it's bad enough, if the parasites download their Rihannas and Britneys, but what Fish fan does that? I mean, we're adults with jobs, do we really need to become criminals to save maybe an hour's pay on the music we like? Especially as we have the privilege of buying directly from the source.

I am not sure how printing multiples of the same ticket would work. When I purchased my tickets to see Fish on the North American tour, I opted for the printable tickets online through Ticketmaster. The website clearly stated that although multiple tickets could be printed off one printout, each ticket has a unique UPC that would render every copy useless once one person had their ticket scanned at the door.

(Now, maybe this was a scare tactic to discourage dishonest people, but I wasn't about to be the person to find out! :P

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 am

When I went to London to see Marillion - I opted for the printable tickets.

They use 2D barcodes, which are indeed scanned on entry. Not sure how they'd control leaving and entering the venue though. I can't remember if I was given some kind of stub.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Actually, I saw Fish at Shank Hall, there was no re-entry once they took your ticket at the door, so that was a non-issue for me.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 pm

jarsis wrote:Actually, I saw Fish at Shank Hall, there was no re-entry once they took your ticket at the door, so that was a non-issue for me.

The TLA or The Fillmore (or whatever they've decided to call it this week :lol: ) in Philly does that as well.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:01 am

Any idea or figures on how well the Return to Childhood live album/dvd did.. or/and how well the tour did?

Would be useful for my degree assignment

:)
David

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:42 am

Bit off on a limb but have been reading this thread with interest and just wanted to tell my own experience - for the record. :) I was a keen Marillion fan back in the day but Fish's solo work had passed me by. Work/marriage/children have kept me busy over the intervening years and although music has always been very much part of my life I was just not aware of the Big Man's solo career. Earlier this year a friend mentioned he was going to a Fishheads gig so I went along. I was bowled over and am now catching up with all the back catalogue. Playing them relentlessly! I am interested in comments on this forum from fans who negatively compare the recent work to the early Marillion albums. Life's experiences, good and bad, change all of us. Fish's work mirrors his experience (and he has had a little of that!). We grow up and move on and although I still love the early work - and can't wait to hear the acoustic Jigsaw and Punch and Judy at the next Cluny gig, I feel the recent work is absolutely as good just more mature. I have had connections with the music business for a lot of my working life and feel that there is just not the opportunity for artists to promote their work that they had some years ago when we had weekly rock and pop programmes on tv which all music fans watched and appearing on those programmes really did bring new releases to the public eye. Sadly those opportunities don't exist now and the music world is a harder place to be.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Just joined, not introduced meself yet, but jumping in with an admission of guilt, and to confirm I've started on the road to redemption :P

I own all the Marillion and Fish Studio albums on a number of formats (some nice 12" Jester-era picture discs stored in the loft with my other vinyl) with some exceptions.

13th Star I was not aware of - until I found it on a Dutch site a while back. I've bought 13th & the DVD since, but being a lazy bugger I'd never had known of it without the piracy. I also wouldn't have known Fish's views if the same collection hadn't included his Bob Harris interview :)

So, colour me redeemed. I'll also be filling in gaps in my collection from The Company, as funds allow, since from what I read it means more £££ to the artist and less to the middle-man.

I must add, though, I am shocked at how low 13th sold - it is by far the best I've heard since Vigil, possibly with the exception of Fellini - though I've not been disappointed by any of his solo releases in all honesty. I suppose the downward trend is in-line with the rest of the music industry - though a certain amount can be attributed to piracy, it could be maturing audiences too. I've tried to influence my young nephew in the past (he's now a "Scouse-House" DJ, whatever that is) and my own son's music tastes are wilder than my wife's (who was listening to some Gypsy stuff before, not Gypsy Kings - real Gypsies) though he did like Zoe 25 so maybe there's hope?

OK - enough - thanks for reading, I'll introduce me later - bed now :)

See you when the sun comes up.
Next

Full Version