And things that Fish always wanted to answer!

Fish's answer - final verse of Childhood's End

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Fish,

On the Thieving Magpie live album (and on other live recordings) the final verse of Childhood's End is ommited from the performance. Is there a particular reason this part is ommited?

Re: Things you always wanted to ask Fish

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:48 pm

jamie1990 wrote:Hi Fish,

On the Thieving Magpie live album (and on other live recordings) the final verse of Childhood's End is ommited from the performance. Is there a particular reason this part is ommited?

I always wanted to know this too! So glad we got the full version on 'Return to Childhood'.

Ed

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:31 pm

Friar Tuxon wrote:

I always wanted to know this too! So glad we got the full version on 'Return to Childhood'.

Ed

Yes, I just asked this on the Marillion forums... I'm dying to know!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi

"Childhoods End" was never a favourite song of mine back in the 80's.
It was the one that felt a bit thrown together of all the tracks on that album and the lyric didn't flow as well as others.Too many words :o

We dropped the last verse on that tour as it was becoming too much of a strain on my voice by that point.
It's a tough ditty to sing :D

We decided that it could be "lost" to no great effect on the performance.
I brought it back when I was playing the "Return to Childhood" tour as the key was dropped and it was easier to sing. And I enjoyed singing it when it was a more rocky approach with my outfit.

I really got off on it on that tour, and I think it showed,

thanks

Onkel Fish

Re: Fish's answer - final verse of Childhood's End

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:23 pm

It did show actually on the Return tour, yes.

It was actually always one of my favourites off Misplaced Childhood though funnily enough and one of my favourite lyrics, I think that line "you coulda goine back to her" has floated into my thoughts so many times throughout my love life, and I think the line "you found the leading light of destiny burning in the ashes of your memory" is fabulous. The song has a lovely feel of the morning breaking to me and of hope on the horizon.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:39 am

I agree; I always found this song inspirational. A classic example of music's power to bolster the heart and soul by making you feel in good company, even in moments of misery. There's something incredibly cathartic about this one, both to listen and sing. It works very, very well, I think, as an acoustic song too. I sometimes cover it at acoustic gigs here in Ontario, Canada.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:36 am

On the same theme but a completely different song

Queen didnt usually play the first verse of Bohemian Rhapsody live
They usually started with the second verse
"Mama just killed a man ...."

I'm sure there must be other songs where bands miss sections out ????

Full Version