And things that Fish always wanted to answer!

Fish's answer - Forgotten Sons re-release

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:52 pm

please, please, could you, would you, consider re-releasing "Forgotten Sons" or doing an uptodate re-working.?

I have friends in the Armed Forces and they really love this track, most of them were not born when it was released.

So...C`Mon Man, lets hear it, with some fire in yer belly, one more time...sing of vision,revolution,lies and deceit...there is plenty of the latter at this moment in time.

...if you couldn`t tell that was my motivational speech... I tried and I`m done.

Re: Things you always wanted to ask Fish

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:07 pm

ironbutterfly wrote:please, please, could you, would you, consider re-releasing "Forgotten Sons" or doing an uptodate re-working.?

I have friends in the Armed Forces and they really love this track, most of them were not born when it was released.

So...C`Mon Man, lets hear it, with some fire in yer belly, one more time...sing of vision,revolution,lies and deceit...there is plenty of the latter at this moment in time.

...if you couldn`t tell that was my motivational speech... I tried and I`m done.

Hi,

Think the original serves it's purpose but I think there is a space for another song of that type in my repertoire ;)

Let's see where the new writing goes.

BTW The version on Real to Reel is my favourite one and could never be beaten by any rerecording

Onkel Fish

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Fish wrote:BTW The version on Real to Reel is my favourite one and could never be beaten by any rerecording

Onkel Fish

Spot on ...... it's a great version, really nailed it :)

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:09 am

Rich1 wrote:
Fish wrote:BTW The version on Real to Reel is my favourite one and could never be beaten by any rerecording

Onkel Fish

The emotion unleashed in that version could never be repeated. Tough years back then! Not that now all problems have been solved, on the contrary, but people were more engaged in international politics and global problems back then.

Re: Fish's answer - Forgotten Sons re-release

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:37 am

Fish has always had quite a close relationship with the army through the years particularly when he went to Bosnia.

It would be great if Fish could explore elements of Afghanistan, Iraq, Al Quieda, global terrorism in a song ........

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 pm

Rich1 wrote:

Onkel Fish

Couldn't agree more. If I had to pick one song that really affected me & tuned me onto what Fish/ Marillion were about it was the Real to Reel version of Forgotten Sons.

Funnily enough, had a long drive last weekend down to Yorkshire & back. We had a nostalgic journey and played Real to Reel back to back.

Truly awsome - even after all these years 8-)

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Fish wrote:
ironbutterfly wrote:please, please, could you, would you, consider re-releasing "Forgotten Sons" or doing an uptodate re-working.?

Hi,

Think the original serves it's purpose but I think there is a space for another song of that type in my repertoire ;)

BTW The version on Real to Reel is my favourite one and could never be beaten by any rerecording

Onkel Fish

Thanks for the reply Big Man, much appreciated. I agree, the Real to Reel version is the one.

I hope my little request reverberates like a mountain echo when the pen hits the page...all the best, keep in good health...and please continue to blow us away with your unique lyrical talent.

Re: Fish's answer - Forgotten Sons re-release

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:04 am

Hi, My first time in the U.K. in 1994,I stayed in a flat in Guildford.Well one night I stayed in from the pub crawl because of a nasty head cold and a mate of the flat owner spent the night because of some fight he had with his wife.I was going to see Fish later that week in London (Wilsden Empire) and he was amazed that an American knew so much about Marillion.He lost a brother in Ireland and proceeded to tell me how on the suggestion of his mate he saw Marillion in the early 80's.He heard the usual Gabriel/Genesis comparisons and gave the band a shot.He said after hearing Forgotten Sons live,it turned him into a instant fan.The connection he had with hearing that song live and the personal loss of his brother was quite emotional stuff.Really made your hairs stand up as he talked of his brother and the feelings brought out by the lyrics.I tried to talk him into going to the show,but the aforementioned marital problems took precedent.Just thought I'd share a bit about a night of some great conversation and how for lack of better words the magic of music can reach people. Peace & Rock N' Roll,George (From Cleveland)

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 pm

ironbutterfly wrote:
Fish wrote:

Hi,

Onkel Fish

Thanks for the reply Big Man, much appreciated. I agree, the Real to Reel version is the one.

I hope my little request reverberates like a mountain echo when the pen hits the page...all the best, keep in good health...and please continue to blow us away with your unique lyrical talent.
I remember it well!! The first time I saw Marillion live and was very familiar with the 'Script' songs.Not so the Fugazi tracks,I think the album was not quite released then? (March 1984)

Full Version