Hello new member! Introduce yourself here and try out the board features

Time to say "Hello"! ;-)

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:13 pm

In the last days we had a lot of new forum members, some of them said Hello here in this part of the forum. So it is time for me to say "Hello" to you, too! Another reason is, that I have promised I let you know some more details about my way with Marillion/Fish (The 5,000 Club thread ;) ). So I introduce myself now.

I was born in GDR near Berlin in November 1967. I grew up near the Schoenefeld airport. I have visited the school there too (two villages away from my home village). I lived normal life for a boy in the GDR. In fact we lived near Berlin we had the chance to get some TV or radio from West-Berlin. So the music from the western part of the world was known for me/us. The first music was the Schlager music. Don't let me think about this time now. But a lot of songs like this are the party maker today. A lot of people remember these songs and sing along or dance if they were played.

In 1986 (I think), anyhow after the release of MC a friend of mine at work asked me if I'm interessted to buy a record from him. It was the MC record. Great and interessting cover. And he lent me the record for one day, so I had the chance to listen to it. Wow! Such a great music. I have to say, at this time, I have already said "Good Bye" to the Schlager world years ago. U2, The Cure, Genesis (after PG), Queen, some of the 80ties music ... was my music!

Next day I asked my friend how much the record will cost. It was a lot of money in the GDR., but it was the money worth! Some month later he asked me again about two other records by Marillion (you know Script and Fugazi). I bought them too, without any listen. It was the right decision. I bought CaS album in Budapest during a trip in 1987.

Then in 1988 I have heard Marillion will play during a event for peace in Berlin. I was one of the lucky guys who had the chance to get a ticket. What an evening!! Never forget, how many people were there!!

Then the split. 1990 was the release of the Vigil album. At this time there was no need to travel to buy this one. Just a drive to the next record store, and it was in my hand :) .

I bought all of the next Fish solo albums (Internal Exile, Songs from the Mirror, Suits, Sunsets on Empire). And then I lost the contact to Fish's music. No idea why. The RwZ album (I bought it!!) was hard for me to get in touch with it. The same with FD (also bought). And if Fish was playing in Berlin I was there too.

I have to say, I followed Marillion's music too. But I lost the contact earlier than to the music by Fish! Now I have all of the studio albums from both sides and of course some of the live albums/DVDs.

In 2010, I don't know why, I wondered what Fish is doing. I entered the forum here, heard about the Acoustic Tour and booked the first tickets for the Newcastle gig at The Cluny. I was to shy to say "Hello" at The Cluny, but I had a phone call from Melissa at the hotel, if we can meet at The Cluny. The rest is history which you can read here at The Union. Some trips to the UK, some cities in Europe, ...

Any questions ;) :D ?

P.S.: One more detail. Before 2010, I didn't travel much during the year. I have changed my kind of living since 2010. I like it to visit the world (OK, more Europe than the world ;) ). Most of them are short trips, but I have seen so much things during the trips. And I met a lot of people and I'm happy about, that I have met them.

P.S.2: And I have heard some more good music since 2010, because there were a lot of recommendations here at The Union and some other forums I have joined (German Fish and Marillion forum, German Genesis forum)!

P.S.3: I try to improve my english every day ;) :D ! Please excuse my grammar :shock: !

Re: Time to say "Hello"! ;-)

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks Ulli. - Of course, those of us who have been here a while know all about you! ;) :D - A pleasure it was to meet you in Leamington. - Here's to many more future meetings, as we raise a glass to the Company and the wonderful music of Fish!! :D

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:50 pm

thanks for sharing Ulli ;) ...very interesting story!
like you,I try to improve myself in English every day(and posting on this forum is a nice way to do it) :mrgreen:
8-)

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:46 pm

arcademannequin wrote:Thanks Ulli. - Of course, those of us who have been here a while know all about you! ;) :D - A pleasure it was to meet you in Leamington. - Here's to many more future meetings, as we raise a glass to the Company and the wonderful music of Fish!! :D

Thanks Paul! But I think the Schlager thing was new for you ;) !

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks for sharing info Ulli amazing we had tickets for the Cluny in Newcastle but never made it due to my father being taken ill, but was great that we caught up with you the next time in Stockton and quite few times since

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Great Story Ulli! thanks for sharing that with us all, and may i just say it has been a pleasure meeting you and hopefully will do again down in Leamington etc..... :D

Slainte! :D :D :D :-/

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:55 pm

Great to find out your story, my friend. See you soon I hope.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:26 am

Thank you Ulli,
I would add, as it has been pointed out by several people on this forum, that Ulli (and other members) provided some kind of spark in some of us here, who won't miss to thank him for the way he use to welcome new members here, whoever they are. The spark which makes you dare to join a pregig meeting, by example.

(count me in those who improve their english ;) )

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:43 am

Thanks Ulli, it was interesting to read about your background.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:16 am

Who's this Ulli guy? Are you new here?
Next

Full Version