Blogs posted by Fish, latest news and site updates.

Re: A Feast of Consequences - the plan

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Conan wrote:
Andyboy67 wrote:Brilliant new Blog from the Big Man on the Fishheadsclub.com site , check it out........ :D :D

Aye. Informative, but slightly depressing... :|

I felt that too Geoff. - Read it and didn't know whether to feel positive or negative about what he said. :? Certainly a reality check.

Incidentally, another artist that I like, Ian McNabb, used Pledge to fund his latest album, which is due out in March. The target was met quite quickly, but I doubt if he would have been able to pay for the services of a full electric band for the studio recording without it. - I totally respect Fish's will to do things his own way, but it's certainly worth consideration.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Personally I think the pledge is a good idea, loads of bands do it these days, even tho the thought of having your name on the album sleeve for the privilege wouldnt appeal to me, (maybe just a letter of thanks) ? the thought of funding something you love would surely be enough for anybody 8-)

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Andyboy67 wrote:Personally I think the pledge is a good idea, loads of bands do it these days, even tho the thought of having your name on the album sleeve for the privilege wouldnt appeal to me, (maybe just a letter of thanks) ? the thought of funding something you love would surely be enough for anybody 8-)

I don't know about "Pledge" as such but I have 'helped' fund a couple of albums by artists I enjoy (Idlewild, anyone?) by paying up front for albums before they had been recorded and do think that this can work if you have faith in the artist concerned. Having heard the tracks that were previewed at the convention I would be more than happy to 'buy' the album now and a letter of thanks would be sufficient reward over and above an early copy of the finished product. Well, and a gig in Lincoln too - if you insist!! :D

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:11 pm

arcademannequin wrote:
Conan wrote:
Andyboy67 wrote:Brilliant new Blog from the Big Man on the Fishheadsclub.com site , check it out........ :D :D

Aye. Informative, but slightly depressing... :|

I felt that too Geoff. - Read it and didn't know whether to feel positive or negative about what he said. :? Certainly a reality check.

I thought the same - until I got about half way through it. And then I didn't think so. At first I'd thought "oh eck, where's this going?" but, as I read on (and it took me a while!) I started to read it slightly differently. I think it is exactly as you've said there - a reality check. He's doing a re-evaluation, re-assessment or whatever you call it & realised things can't continue as they are. So he's painted a picture of where he is now and where he needs to get to, and how he's starting to think about how he's going to get there. He's got his eyes wide open and is seeing things perhaps clearer than he has for a while. And I thought there were a lot of big positives in there. :)

That's my take, anyways.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:40 am

GoldfishOrClown wrote:
Andyboy67 wrote:Personally I think the pledge is a good idea, loads of bands do it these days, even tho the thought of having your name on the album sleeve for the privilege wouldnt appeal to me, (maybe just a letter of thanks) ? the thought of funding something you love would surely be enough for anybody 8-)

I don't know about "Pledge" as such but I have 'helped' fund a couple of albums by artists I enjoy (Idlewild, anyone?) by paying up front for albums before they had been recorded and do think that this can work if you have faith in the artist concerned. Having heard the tracks that were previewed at the convention I would be more than happy to 'buy' the album now and a letter of thanks would be sufficient reward over and above an early copy of the finished product. Well, and a gig in Lincoln too - if you insist!! :D

Agree that's another good point Dave .
I think there would be plenty of folk up for that if it was requested, will be interested to see what this Deluxe Version of the album Fish has discussed is gonna cost ?? Its the version I will personally be opting for, as much as I love the music I love the artwork that goes with it and think Mark Wilkinsons work is brilliant.... But as they Say "You pays your money" :)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:44 pm

GoldfishOrClown wrote:

I'd happily pay upfront for a Fish album, regardless of whether my name would feature on a list.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:48 pm

arcademannequin wrote:
GoldfishOrClown wrote:

I'd happily pay upfront for a Fish album, regardless of whether my name would feature on a list.

Et moi aussi.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:42 pm

Some good comments above. Fish has always worn his heart on his sleeve and this is no exception.

Times change, and like all artists, Fish has to keep with the times. He's been resistant to upfront album sales before, but to his credit he's never dismissed it.

As it's becoming more common now, I don't think that there's any stigma attached to this method of fundraising. Sites like Kickstarter have certainly made this a 'normal' thing now.

Anyway - overall it's great he's looking at his options and where he wants to be down the line.

I'm looking forward to a new album this year and plenty more Fish for years to come.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:49 pm

JohnSReid wrote:Some good comments above. Fish has always worn his heart on his sleeve and this is no exception.

Times change, and like all artists, Fish has to keep with the times. He's been resistant to upfront album sales before, but to his credit he's never dismissed it.

As it's becoming more common now, I don't think that there's any stigma attached to this method of fundraising. Sites like Kickstarter have certainly made this a 'normal' thing now.

Anyway - overall it's great he's looking at his options and where he wants to be down the line.

I'm looking forward to a new album this year and plenty more Fish for years to come.

I've found some of the comments on here a little bit "pre-emptive" of negativity. Now, I've not always gone overboard on compliments for Fish, but I've been quite surprised at how quickly negativity breeds, and from people who've really slated me in the past for my opinion. I speak from my perspective, which isn't necessarily the same as speaking from my heart.

I asked a while back why he wasn't posting blogs any more and he gave a very fair answer, which I understood and respected.

Now he's started writing blogs again and it's being picked apart. It's taken a long time for him to reach the point where he has again started to write from that heart that he wears on his sleeve. Personally, I think that is really good - and positive.

In his response to the question I asked about why he didn't post blogs back then, he said he wasn't in a good enough place and was in so much darkness & anything he wrote would have reflected that. He's not there any more, in that horrible place. But that doesn't mean that he's gone into fairyland, now. I think he's reached a point where he's incredibly realistic and working towards the future and is just figuring how he goes about it. And he shares that with us. Nothing wrong in that. I'd rather he did than kept quiet. He's gained a lot of respect from me in recent months. At the end of the day, he's a man earning a living - yet a man who seems to have to keep a lot of people happy to be able to do it.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 pm

Lady41 wrote:
JohnSReid wrote:Some good comments above. Fish has always worn his heart on his sleeve and this is no exception.

I've found some of the comments on here a little bit "pre-emptive" of negativity. Now, I've not always gone overboard on compliments for Fish, but I've been quite surprised at how quickly negativity breeds, and from people who've really slated me in the past for my opinion. I speak from my perspective, which isn't necessarily the same as speaking from my heart.

I asked a while back why he wasn't posting blogs any more and he gave a very fair answer, which I understood and respected.

Now he's started writing blogs again and it's being picked apart. It's taken a long time for him to reach the point where he has again started to write from that heart that he wears on his sleeve. Personally, I think that is really good - and positive.

In his response to the question I asked about why he didn't post blogs back then, he said he wasn't in a good enough place and was in so much darkness & anything he wrote would have reflected that. He's not there any more, in that horrible place. But that doesn't mean that he's gone into fairyland, now. I think he's reached a point where he's incredibly realistic and working towards the future and is just figuring how he goes about it. And he shares that with us. Nothing wrong in that. I'd rather he did than kept quiet. He's gained a lot of respect from me in recent months. At the end of the day, he's a man earning a living - yet a man who seems to have to keep a lot of people happy to be able to do it.

Good comments Sharon, but I honestly don't think that those initial feelings of negativity (which I agree, the more you read it, the less negative it seems) were in any way a case of picking apart his blog or us being hyper-critical. - Must admit, I had a bit of a downer at the thought of him nolonger touring. :( Even if that is a good few years off. - Anyway, as Rab says, let's enjoy the here and now! :D
Next

Full Version