Blogs posted by Fish, latest news and site updates.

Re: Proposed re issues of the Solo Catalogue

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Of the three albums involved 'Fellini Days' is the one where I was always unconvinced with the 'take'. On 'Field of Crows' everything is okay except 'Numbers' which is a muddied mess of a fine song.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:15 pm

I meant to mention earlier,i'd love to hear some live material from the fellini days tour.fellini nights and the companion cd are great but more would be top.love the rhythm section in this era,steve barnacles bass is so deep and groovy...he did some nice work with visage back in the day when fretless bass ruled.
A remix of fellini days would be my first choice,imagine if we could get a brass section on 'dancing in fog'.. :D

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Hey Fish, I've got some video that you let me shoot from the "Bachelor Party" tour, the full D.C. show, and the first song in NYC. Let me know if you're interested in seeing it.

Tom

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:42 pm

I like the idea of the remasters & remixing, but rather than do a 5.1, I think it would be great to offer them as high res tracks, so something like 24/96 rather than the CD norm of 16/44 :-) That would really get my DAC working!

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:12 pm

re the new sound dimensions -will have to look into that,

talked to Chris Kimsey already about the remixes and he has said the "RWZ" he couldn't bring much to the party with that as it stacks up well, but Fellini and Field of Crows he says he can definitely take them up a league,

Re the Washington filming, would love to see that.I am sure I've got bits and pieces around from then and a crawl into the dank vaults is in order :-)

Onkel Fish

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Fish wrote: "RWZ" .... stacks up well. Onkel Fish

Totally agree. There is just a certain "something" about the sound of that album. Re-mixes are always interesting, but my fear is that something vital would be lost - especially from the more atmospheric tracks. On the other hand, maybe the rockier tunes (Mission Statement, Faithhealer, etc) could stand a less saturated mix... :ok:

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Conan wrote:
Fish wrote: "RWZ" .... stacks up well. Onkel Fish

Totally agree. There is just a certain "something" about the sound of that album. Re-mixes are always interesting, but my fear is that something vital would be lost - especially from the more atmospheric tracks. On the other hand, maybe the rockier tunes (Mission Statement, Faithhealer, etc) could stand a less saturated mix... :ok:

always thought RG dancing, whilst an outstanding track , was muddy, mushy particularity the guitar.. its just lost in the wilderness... which is why I al ways prefer the live versions from RTC..

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:46 pm

docbob wrote:always thought RG dancing, whilst an outstanding track , was muddy, mushy particularity the guitar.. its just lost in the wilderness... which is why I al ways prefer the live versions from RTC..

Good point! Maybe it just needed Frank there in the first place? :twisted: The solo, in particular, just has "nothing to say" IMO. No melody, and not even much in the textural sense..

Cool. This is getting interesting! 8-)

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Problem is that once we start a remix it's not a touch up - it's a remix! Re-mastering could brighten things up and I will be dealing with that side of things as well with the re issues dependent on Calum's opinions. Figure there's a wee bit to play with in the technology since RWZ release back in last century:-)

Onkle Fish

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:53 pm

I'd second what an earlier poster said, don't take on too much.

Fripp & Co have been doing just two remixes at a time with great success. And Tull is just doing one at a time and the new Aqualung sounds AMAZING!

I'll also second the thought that RWZ is good as is. You can only change it, not improve it.

Fellini deserves a proper re-mix, though. It was another casualty of the loudness wars (see: Rush's "Vapor Trails" - yikes!)
Next

Full Version