Blogs posted by Fish, latest news and site updates.

Fishheads Club Live Double DVD questions

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:42 pm

I am a Taurean so direct approaches tend to be favoured and this post is straight out the Taurean handbook.

Since releasing this double disc live DVD just before the convention I have to admit being surprised and disappointed at the sales which to date are 650!

I didn't expect tens of thousands but I have to look at the 24167 "likes" on this page and the 6696 views of a "test" post and wonder why this release hasn't provoked more interest amongst fans of whom over 30 000 p
eople attended the gigs on the Fishheads Club tour.

I am genuinely interested in your thoughts on this as it will determine future approaches or whether I continue to invest in and release live product.

The filming,editing, music recording and mixing, the artwork, session fees and overall production involved over 10 000 pounds of investment and delivered nearly 4 hours of material across two performances.

I appreciate it's not new material and the major demand is for the new studio album but nevertheless 650 sales in the first 2 months including the convention is disappointing.

Do you think it's too expensive? I'm very aware of the current economic stresses and appreciate that some people just don't have the cash to buy what they would like to. That in itself is totally understandable and I respect those constraints.

Is there a wariness of ordering through the mail order system?
We suffered badly from an internal fraud in 2004 when the then office manageress was not fulfilling orders (especially to North America) and banking cash in another account. Confidence in our mail order service was then at an all time low. Since Elspeth joined we have rectified our system and I think we provide a very good service these days and have regained a decent reputation.

Are you just not interested in the product?

With the Polish documentary film hopefully coming on line in the next couple of months and the Convention DVD scheduled for late April as well as the "Feast of Consequences" album it's important for me to get a handle on this.

I'd sincerely appreciate some feedback as I'm sure you will agree with me that the disparity in the sales to fan base doesn't make sense and I'd like to know why.

A big thanks to those of you who have supported the release and bought the DVD's and I look forward to the response from those of you who elected not to buy.

As I said better to go straight to the question rather than skirt the issues :-)

Re: Fishheads Club Live Double DVD questions

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm

I answered this on Facebook so no point repeating myself :lol:

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:33 pm

It's my Christmas present , sitting in the cupboard. Looking forward to some 'me' time after the big day to settle down with a nice malt and enjoy what from the trailer seems to be an excellent product- hopefully up there with Sunsets DVD which is the one Fish live DVD I tend to play. Plenty of FB comments from those who haven't bought so not much new feedback I can give at this stage other than great speedy service as ever from Elspeth.

Re-upcoming releases the Polish documentary I will buy but fear its appeal could be even more limited than Fishheads Club, which is a shame because of the time and effort that blogs showed has gone into it........

The convention DVD would be a must for those who attended a spectacular weekend and I guess the Grendel performances should pull in others.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Haven't bought the dvd yet but i have every intention of doing so. Just been waiting until i have a decent month where i can afford it.
This month doesn't help of course so i imagine i'd buy it in the new year. Don't think it's too expensive as far as music dvds go and the quality
it provides.
Unsure of the how's and why's, but would it be cheaper as a download? Although i guess the fanbase would prefer the physical product.

Hope this doesn't stop any future release's.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:01 pm

On the question of buying through mail order, I genuinely don't think this is a problem. I wasn't aware of the previous fraud but certainly have no qualms about ordering from the Fish shop and have done on a few occasions, including this DVD. It might be an idea to make it available in other outlets, though (unless it already is, in which case I'm talking rubbish, but that's nothing new! :lol: ) As a fair few people said on Facebook, they didn't even know it existed.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:51 pm

DVD is luxury. I tend to buy every CD of a band I like. A CD is played hundrets, thousands of time. A DVD I watch four or five times. Nevertheless, if like a band or an artist, I buy every DVD, so I bought yours. I would have paid even more, if the package contained CD's (including even the same gigs!) because I listen to music in my car or in front of my stereo. I am not willing to fish the muddy waters of the illegal internet to get a ripped CD-version of the DVD. So I hope that you will release a CD of acoustic gigs.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:30 pm

peter0027 wrote:DVD is luxury. I tend to buy every CD of a band I like. A CD is played hundrets, thousands of time. A DVD I watch four or five times. Nevertheless, if like a band or an artist, I buy every DVD, so I bought yours. I would have paid even more, if the package contained CD's (including even the same gigs!) because I listen to music in my car or in front of my stereo. I am not willing to fish the muddy waters of the illegal internet to get a ripped CD-version of the DVD. So I hope that you will release a CD of acoustic gigs.

Peter, there is a plan already if you didnt know to release a double Accoustic CD set called the EAST LOTHIAN COLLECTION which in effect will compromise of tracks from the gigs at North Berwick 2011 and Haddington 2012 :)

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:03 am

My case might be particular...

I don't trust the mail service in Argentina, or Customs for that matter, they usually retain books, dvds and cds, and then you have to pay a hefty sum on top. So.... I am waiting until I am settled in the US, and then I will order to my heart's content. It has been hard waiting, but I am sure they will be great purchases.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 am

Pre-ordered it as soon as it became available. - Can't knock the online Shop. Absolutely first class, and everything I've ever ordered from it has arrived pristine, correct and very quickly. All thanks to the lovely Elspeth.

As for sales of the DVD itself, I can only think, as Sharon has said, that it is either down to lack of advertising or lack of expendable funds. Everyone is spending less these days, and has as been stated, CDs are much more essential and useable to the average music fan than DVDs, that may only be played on occasion. - Saying that, it is an excellently produced package, and really captures the essence and atmosphere of a hugely enjoyable tour that I was lucky enough to see three gigs from. - I'd urge anyone to make the purchase, if they are able.

I really hope that the poor sales (so far), won't jeopardise the possible release of a future DVD of the Convention gigs, or cast doubt regarding demand for such a DVD.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:53 am

I bought the dvd :D , but i think the bigger picture maybe in the Econimic pressures that surround us all at the moment, coupled with maybe the release date being quite close to the convention and the end of the year when everyone is starting to think and put money by for xmas.

That said, i know you had posted about the dvd on here but was the Promotion of it elsewhere(FB, TWITTER etc...) Lacking :? I dont know, as i do not use facebook and twitter very little, maybe something you can look into :? Or maybe even the Fact that you rarely come on the forum now which maybe putting members off keeping up to scratch with what is going on regards to Dvd/cd releases or anything else for that matter, not everyone uses Fb or twitter ?

Probably a culmination of all of the above plus the Fact that the Fishheads accoustic tour(no matter how successful) ran for a long time, and maybe this worked against the dvd as it didnt to a certain extent offer anything diff (apart from the live studio gig) which didnt seem live as there was little or no audience interaction (Just my viewpoint) Think maybe if this had happened it would have brought across a more appealing and inviting and diff "curve" for the viewer :?

Just my viewpoints and definitely not the be all and end all of anything, each to their own! :)
Next

Full Version