Blogs posted by Fish, latest news and site updates.

Re: Fishheads Club Live Double DVD questions

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:05 am

I'd also like to add that I've always thought that the whole 'likes' thing on Facebook/Twitter is incredibly facile. Can it ever be a credible gauge of opinion? :?

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:46 pm

malcolm keeble wrote:Haven't bought the dvd yet but i have every intention of doing so. Just been waiting until i have a decent month where i can afford it.
This month doesn't help of course so i imagine i'd buy it in the new year. Don't think it's too expensive as far as music dvds go and the quality
it provides.
Unsure of the how's and why's, but would it be cheaper as a download? Although i guess the fanbase would prefer the physical product.

Hope this doesn't stop any future release's.

Thanks for the post Malcolm,
And a warm welcome to the Forum and the Company, enjoy! :)

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:20 pm

arcademannequin wrote:I'd also like to add that I've always thought that the whole 'likes' thing on Facebook/Twitter is incredibly facile. Can it ever be a credible gauge of opinion? :?

It's not. It's easy to just click 'like' and I wouldn't take it as a marketing tool. Fish may have been a little naive to have done so but understandably - Facebook is a massive phenomenom & it's a good medium to gauge whether you're liked or popular. But it's not really the best way to advertise. Having said that, he's had nearly 300 responses to his 'honest' (Taurean) and direct post and I think a few more sales will come of it, because many people didn't even know the DVD existed.

However, liking his page doesn't necessarily mean you see all his posts, particularly if you work Facebook from a tablet or an I-phone rather than a laptop as not all posts appear in newsfeeds.

It's also highlighted barriers in other countries to obtaining his material, which he may not have realised were there.

To my mind, marketing is the big issue here. And the fact that it's a DVD - people, me included, just can't be arsed with DVDs for music. There's far too many other mediums out there that offer better ways to listen/watch. I have watched the Derby disc again (though I have to admit I still can't force myself to watch the 'at home' DVD again) and it's really good because you get the whole physical presence thing that you don't get on a CD. That said, I'd still go for CDs or downloads/You Tube playlists because I don't normally need to 'see' as I have a vivid imagination and can visualise because I've seen the man live. So the 'seeing' comes from memories in my head.

I will always buy rather than get something free, particularly with an artist like Fish who relies on sales, because I want things to 'keep'. But I don't even buy as many CDs as I used to because they take up too much space in the house (nearly a 1000 CDs in a small house and it's becoming a joke) but even downloads are just mine - accessible only to me on my computer/tablet/phone.

I bought the DVD not long after Leamington because I wanted its physicality as a keepsake.

It's also true that the state of the economy is affecting many. I (hope) this won't ever affect me to the tune of £25 but, in hindsight, I admit I wouldn't have bought this DVD just for the Derby performance. I think it should have been 2 gigs from the acoustic tour. A DVD should have some physicality in it to make it viable and the 'home' gig just didn't cut it for me.

I don't think it was adequately, or appropriately, marketed. Even I, as a member of the forum didn't really pay much attention to it. It was on sale in Leamington, but only if you were actually looking for it. I wasn't. It was only after having a nosey in the Fish shop looking for a teeshirt (that I would never normally do as I don't do teeshirts - and incidentally didn't find) that I came across it.

I think it's good Fish put out this post both on here (though he probably won't pay as much attention on here as is not a regular) and on Facebook. We never stop learning and I think it's good that he shows he's still human. So I respect that. As an artist, who doesn't take himself for granted, but wears his heart on his sleeve, it's good that he feels comfortable enough with his fan base to be able to ask the question.

Fish, you are not a businessman! Get that sorted! :D

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Good post Sharon. :) - I think also, that the Convention was such a big financial outlay for many fans, so having that extra bit of spending money ontop of paying for accommodation, food and drink, travel and gig pass was a big ask. - I certainly didn't have enough over to afford CDs and DVDs.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:18 am

I can't think of anything else to add to the excellent posts from Rab, Sharon and Paul. I certainly don't think there is any kind of conspiracy here, maybe just an unusual combination of circumstances.

To me, the FishHeads project/tour was all about relaxed and personal live performances. Not having seen the DVD it's hard to judge, but I just can't imagine the same vibe coming over well on a recording - whether it be audio, visual or both. I do own a small collection of music DVDs (and Fish/Marillion are well represented in there!) but I just don't watch them very often, so they definitely fall into the "luxury" category rather than CDs which I see as essentials!

In the run-up to Christmas (and I have also had three family birthdays in the last couple of months) I have put more effort into sourcing and finding presents for others than for myself. I have also been crazy busy at work recently and my time online has suffered as a result.

Having attended four or five live performances of the FishHeads material, I have to admit to being slightly fatigued by it. The experience of an actual gig adds to the listening pleasure though, whereas with a DVD you don't get that of course...

From a personal point of view (and what other point of view is there?!) I also feel a bit "out of the loop" having missed the convention. Maybe that has been a factor too.

To be honest, I probably will buy the DVD - especially knowing how directly it supports Fish. And I may be pleasantly surprised by it!

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:40 am

I think it has all been said already, and far more succinctly than I could, but I will add my own thoughts.

Firstly, you cannot correlate the number of 'likes' on FB with genuine fans and followers. I'm sure Fish must know this.

In relation to the subject of Fish's post, my own opinion is that a DVD of an acoustic gig will have a fairly small market. This is especially so as the gigs were acoustic rather than electric. The gigs themselves were wonderful atmospheric experiences, I am not convinced this would transfer to the medium of DVD.

I do not own any music DVDs, I simply wouldn't watch them, and I am a huge fan and supporter of live music. My preference would always be for live CDs of which I own many! I was unaware that there are plans for a live CD from this tour but will most certainly buy that when it appears. :)

Regarding the price, I think it is fair for the amount of material you get. I know Fish makes his living from these products and would like to sell them by the truck-load but to be honest 650 sales in two months does not seem that bad to me!

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:10 pm

mwelljester wrote:
malcolm keeble wrote:Haven't bought the dvd yet but i have every intention of doing so. Just been waiting until i have a decent month where i can afford it.
This month doesn't help of course so i imagine i'd buy it in the new year. Don't think it's too expensive as far as music dvds go and the quality
it provides.
Unsure of the how's and why's, but would it be cheaper as a download? Although i guess the fanbase would prefer the physical product.

Hope this doesn't stop any future release's.

Thanks for the post Malcolm,
And a warm welcome to the Forum and the Company, enjoy! :)

Thanks. Long time lurker, 1st time posting. Thought this was an important topic to comment on.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:03 pm

I bought the dvd at the convention (which was amazing and up there with the best gigs you have ever done!) Fish. I think it's superb. I suppose the only gripe for some people may be the price, but how low do you go before it doesn't pay you to release these things. I for one can't wait for the convention dvd and will most definitely buying it immediately once it is released. Keep on rocking the Fish and come on fans - buy the dvd and support the man! All the best from Wayne in Rotherham. PS - See you in Holmfirth in May!

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:51 pm

first time post for me living in the USA , the internet is the only medium I have to keep check on Fish /marillion . Purchasing the DVD is certainly on the agenda, although I would have liked a cd version to accompany the DVD - as most of my music is in the form of mp3 or cd format. I do miss seeing Fish live, and wonder when his next trip across the pond will be, so a dvd is the next best thing , my question is the majority of people purchasing this are they people who would not normally get the chance to see fish live ? .
That said , I have always found Fish to be a wonderful word smith and feel a book would be certainly be on top of my list .

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:12 am

Hi Fish, I'm from Ukraine, and as you probably know digital piracy in my country is a real problem. More precisely, most people prefer to use unofficial copy of DVDs from torrents, for example, and only real funs will buy physical DVD for collection. Furthermore, most of Ukrainians, I suppose, will be motivated by "Try-it-Buy it" principle, so the only thing I can suggest is to upload some parts of your DVD on youtube service to review. I probably will buy the DVD to support your creative work but as for CDs I prefer vinyl - media that can't be dowloaded.
Next

Full Version