Blogs posted by Fish, latest news and site updates.

New Post: Touring

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:00 am

See the latest blog post:

http://fishheadsclub.com/2013/01/29/touring/

Re: New Post: Touring

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am

Puts a few things into perspective, it would be interesting to see whether he gets a better attendance this tour with a full band rather than the acoustic tours of the last few years; or vice versa?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:22 am

keitht wrote:Puts a few things into perspective, it would be interesting to see whether he gets a better attendance this tour with a full band rather than the acoustic tours of the last few years; or vice versa?

I was under the impression that the attendance was very good on the FishHeads tour. Isn't this the case? :?

Anyway, another very honest blog from Fish. - I kind of had an idea that touring was taking a financial risk, but it's very interesting (and somewhat frightening) to see the breakdown. :o

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

Very interessting and intimate post!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Fascinating stuff! I always knew that it was an expensive business, but I had no idea just how complex it is! I have a headache now just thinking about it :(

I can't help wondering, though, if there aren't other options available that would minimise the expenditure bit and therefore maximise the profit... Obviously the concept of hiring the local village hall is ridiculous, but maybe there are other cunning plans that could be used?

Some artists (of which ex-It Bites frontman Francis Dunnery is an example I am familiar with) hire themselves out to do "home gigs". You basically pay them to come and play an intimate performance, in your house or some other small local venue, and then you can either offer accommodation or pay for the cost of the band arranging it themselves. I certainly think that the FishHeads format would work well in this style....

http://www.francisdunnery.com/houseconc ... certs.html

Bear in mind that it often costs several hundred pounds to hire a local covers-only band to play for a couple of hours at a wedding or corporate function, how many of us would shell out somewhere in the region of £500 - £1000 (depending on the logistics) to have Fish play in our house or at our local pub as part of a birthday celebration (for example).

I know I would! :D

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:47 pm

:) An excellent post Fish, and a very big "Eyeopener" :o for the rest of us i dare say.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Another interesting post from the Big Man, its absolutely scandalous that the venue takes a cut in the merchandise, :evil: I always believed that money went solely to the artist !!!
If I was Fish i'd take a leaf out of Del Boy's & Rodneys book and sell from the back of the van outside, with the engine running for a quick getaway if the rozza's showed ;) :lol: :lol:
Good point from geoff tho, how brilliant would that be, maybe we could hire him out to play at Teddy's Mansion ;) ;) for a forum's Convention :?: :?: :D

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:14 pm

With regards to the Merchandise problem with the Venues taking cuts of X amount. Obviously i dont know all the ins and outs, but would it not be possible to adopt a similar approach, that Fish has done in the past, regards to American tours. In other words setting up in cordination with a local "Watering Hole" (meet up) for instance and while bringing in an extra 300 odd punters, in return Fish gets to sell his Merch form said Watering Hole for free. :?
As i say i dont know all the ins and outs, just a thought though. :)

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 am

I think we have the nucleus of a "financial affairs committee" taking shape here! :D

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Conan wrote:Bear in mind that it often costs several hundred pounds to hire a local covers-only band to play for a couple of hours at a wedding or corporate function, how many of us would shell out somewhere in the region of £500 - £1000 (depending on the logistics) to have Fish play in our house or at our local pub as part of a birthday celebration (for example).

I know I would! :D

Too right! 8-) Funnily enough, I'm doing just that local covers band thing for my birthday in a couple of months (mates rates so not too dear!) but the option of a Fishheads gig in my village would be fantastic. Mind you, the wine cost of hosting the big man overnight might just bankrupt me!! :lol:
Next

Full Version