Discussion, news and info on the forthcoming convention in Leamington Spa.

Re: Company Convention 2012 Accommodation

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Conan wrote:
arcademannequin wrote:Now, about that accommodation..........

If anyone is still seeking accommodation, a double room has just been cancelled at the Adams Hotel for friday and saturday nights.

http://www.adams-hotel.co.uk/

How do I know this? It was to be our room but we are now no longer able to use it. :shock: :cry:

Geoff, are you telling us you can no longer go? :? This is very sad news if so. :(

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:23 pm

arcademannequin wrote:Geoff, are you telling us you can no longer go? :? This is very sad news if so. :(

The short answer is yes.

Here is the long answer....

We are exploring other options - particularly as we have bought two convention tickets!

The problems are logistical and financial, and I should have given it a bit more thought months ago.

If the convention had been a week later it would have been easy. But I will be at work on the friday till about 4pm, which means that we wouldn't be able to set off southwards until at least then. If we drive, the petrol will cost approximately £100 (for both ways) and we wouldn't arrive till around 9pm on friday (assuming we had a clear run down). After a full week at work that will be one tiring drive... especially knowing it will all have to be done again on sunday afternoon as I am back at work on the monday. That also means we would be, in effect, paying £60 each to see one gig! :o

The accommodation would be still to pay for, which would be another £150 or so. As we have a puppy now we would have to pay for her to be looked after - another £50 ish. Food and drink would account for another £100 plus.... As it started to add up we realised that it was just going to be too much, especially as we go off to Ireland for a week's family holiday the following friday!! That's costing over £800 before we even get there, just with accommodation, petrol and ferry costs :shock: With three kids to feed and entertain... :? :roll:

So, much as we would love to be there, it's just not going to be feasible this time. :(

On the plus side, we can now afford to go to the Haddington gig this month! :D Assuming there are tickets left of course...

Sorry if this all sounds like one big long whinge, but it's all been a bit of a disappointment and a reality check. :cry:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Sorry this is going hopelessly off-topic. :oops: - You're not whinging Geoff. Just feel really disappointed for you, though I completely understand the reasons. I myself have paid a small fortune on accommodation and train tickets, but I know it will be worth it. - I guess the killer for you is work. It just doesn't seem possible to fit it all into your schedule.

You'll be missed! :(

Now,.........accommodation. :oops:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:45 pm

arcademannequin wrote:Sorry this is going hopelessly off-topic. :oops: -

Not that far OT.... I started by saying that a double room had become available... ;)

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Conan wrote:
arcademannequin wrote:Geoff, are you telling us you can no longer go? :? This is very sad news if so. :(

We are exploring other options - {snip...}

Sorry if this all sounds like one big long whinge, but it's all been a bit of a disappointment and a reality check. :cry:

For what it's worth, I for one don't see your post as a whinge at all. If it helps, the Premier Inn I keep plugging in Warwick is available for £85 (currently price) for two nights total.

As for all the other observations, I completely empathise. Taking a positive approach, I booked my convention ticket and hotel + another ticket & hotel to see another band on 18th Oct. Hotels and tix are all pre-paid yet there is no guarantee I will be able to attend (personal reasons). If I am able to get to Leamington, car hire + fuel will add to the already substantial outlay but, even if I make it, it is highly unlikely I will be able to see all of the convention related events. In order to increase the likelihood of seeing all of Sunday, some of Saturday will almost certainly have to go (personal reasons). C'est la vie....

Nowadays, the cost of tickets tends to be the incidental part of costs for seeing gigs that are not VERY local; travel / hotels and food costs tend to be the much greater consideration - at least to me. Barring A-listers such as Roger Waters et al, the ticket price is rarely a major factor in deciding whether or not to attend a gig (nope, I didn't see RW). Irrespective of whether or not I make it to Leamington, that is my budget gone for the rest of the year for gigs / going away etc.

So, fingers crossed that, somehow, we can all make it Geoff :) .

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Conan wrote:

The short answer is yes.

We are exploring other options - particularly as we have bought two convention tickets!

The problems are logistical and financial, and I should have given it a bit more thought months ago.

If the convention had been a week later it would have been easy. But I will be at work on the friday till about 4pm, which means that we wouldn't be able to set off southwards until at least then. If we drive, the petrol will cost approximately £100 (for both ways) and we wouldn't arrive till around 9pm on friday (assuming we had a clear run down). After a full week at work that will be one tiring drive... especially knowing it will all have to be done again on sunday afternoon as I am back at work on the monday. That also means we would be, in effect, paying £55 each to see one gig! :o

The accommodation would be still to pay for, which would be another £150 or so. As we have a puppy now we would have to pay for her to be looked after - another £50 ish. Food and drink would account for another £100 plus.... As it started to add up we realised that it was just going to be too much, especially as we go off to Ireland for a week's family holiday the following weekend!! That's costing over £800 before we even get there, just with accommodation, petrol and ferry costs :shock:

So, much as we would love to be there, it's just not going to be feasible this time. :(

On the plus side, we can now afford to go to the Haddington gig this month! :D Assuming there are tickets left of course...

Very sorry to hear this geoff :( , it is definitely not a whinge, just part and parcel of what we all have to do from time to time while juggling our finances, hopefully you can make it to the haddington gig, if not then i hope you and your family have a great holiday in ireland. :)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:46 am

Conan wrote:

The short answer is yes.

If the convention had been a week later it would have been easy. But I will be at work on the friday till about 4pm, which means that we wouldn't be able to set off southwards until at least then. If we drive, the petrol will cost approximately £100 (for both ways) and we wouldn't arrive till around 9pm on friday (assuming we had a clear run down). After a full week at work that will be one tiring drive... especially knowing it will all have to be done again on sunday afternoon as I am back at work on the monday. That also means we would be, in effect, paying £55 each to see one gig! :o

The accommodation would be still to pay for, which would be another £150 or so. As we have a puppy now we would have to pay for her to be looked after - another £50 ish. Food and drink would account for another £100 plus.... As it started to add up we realised that it was just going to be too much, especially as we go off to Ireland for a week's family holiday the following weekend!! That's costing over £800 before we even get there, just with accommodation, petrol and ferry costs :shock:

Sorry to hear that Geoff! Enjoy the Haddington gig and of course your Ireland holidays!!

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:46 pm

I know that I have left it stupidly late to decide that I would like to join in the Convention weekend in only 16 days. Never been to any kind of weekend but from the posts on here it sounds like it will be a great weekend. :D

Only problem is where to stay I have no knowledge of Warwick or Leamington and laterooms are saying FULL to every room option that I pick. :cry:

I am intending to train down to Leamington Saturday morning so would only need one accom.

Any ideas/suggestions anyone? Please?

Cheers in advance.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 pm

I think that I was panicking without just cause. Warwick to Leamington is only £1.30 on the train. :D

I suppose there are taxis there too. :oops:

Better get them tickets ordered. Woo-hoo!

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Have you checked your Personal Mails here on the forum?
Next

Full Version