Discussion, news and info on the forthcoming convention in Leamington Spa.

Re: Convention support acts

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:47 am

keitht wrote:Oh dear, I'm just going to go and fetch my hard hat. :(

Very underwhelmed by It Bites. Sorry! :oops:

That's cool man! One of the reasons I like them so much is that they are a bit Marmite! Everyone thinks of Calling all the Heroes (if they think of anything at all) when they hear the name It Bites. It's great to have such a big hit in your back catalogue of course, but it was released in 1986 FFS!! :shock:

Then again, many people hear about Fish and only think of Kayleigh... :roll:

This thread does raise an interesting question though. If we, as fans, were to be consulted about support acts for the next convention (here's hoping.... and if the current tri-ennial pattern continues it will be in 2015!)...

Who would you choose as the two support acts? And reasons behind your decisions?

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:52 am

Jury still out for me! I hold my hands up and say i have not heard really anything from the two support acts apart from at the convention, but i feel i need to listen to both groups a few times before i make a final descision, probably just me but sometimes i found it hard to pick up on the words being sung by both singers or maybe just because i do not know the tracks thus not knowing any words. :?

Guess i will just have to listen to more online! :)

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:04 am

I enjoyed both support acts... It Bites were a little too 'pop' for me, but overall a good set... The Reasoning I enjoyed a lot.. shades of curved air with the keyboards taking the place of the fiddle... :)

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:37 am

I think the if the discussion so far shows anything, The Reasoning and It Bites were great choices as MOST fans liked at least one of the bands.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:19 am

JohnSReid wrote:I think the if the discussion so far shows anything, The Reasoning and It Bites were great choices as MOST fans liked at least one of the bands.

Spot on John! You can't please all of the people all of the time, but it looks as though Fish and Yatta got pretty close on this! 8-)

My personal votes for the next one (without being silly and suggesting Rush and Iron Maiden, for example!) would be Pendragon and Porcupine Tree. Or Spock's Beard. Or maybe Riverside..... Hmmmm. Tough choices! :lol:

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Porcupine Tree, eh? That might be a tall order but I wouldn't be averse to hearing some of Mr Wilson's solo stuff and then rocking out with Fish on Johnny Punter :)

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 pm

They were both good bands, the trouble is if you dont know the tracks its very hard to get into a set.i think i preferred the reasoning.i was nodding along to a couple of their tracks.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:38 am

I hadn't heard any It Bites before. My daughter Kayleigh and I enjoyed their set, but agreed that we hadn't been impressed enough to want to investigate them any further, until their cds hit bargain basement prices anyway! Don't worry John, I'll still follow your career in Arena!

I do have all The Reasoning's cds, and have seen them in concert before, along with about 29 others, at Legends in Newcastle. I thoroughly enjoyed their set, and I disagree a) that it got better as it went on - didn't they do Dark Angel second? and b) that Rachel's voice wasn't clear - I thought she sang very nicely - not sure about her choice of clothing though! I do however agree that the tempo of their set was a little static - they do have a much greater variety on their albums.

Kayleigh hadn't heard The Reasoning before but she loved it - she commented afterwards how tight the band was and how well they performed.

Generally, I agree that this is a new style of Progressive Rock which is becoming more prevalent - I have just discovered a Spanish/Dutch band called Harvest, for example, who are a mixture of new Marillion and The Reasoning - but I like it. In what has traditionally been a very male dominated genre, I like to listen to female vocalists for a change (another good band with a female vocalist is Introitus - then there's Magenta, and so on....). These bands, perhaps because of the female singers, do tend to have a different sound - still progressive, but kind of "easy progressive" if you see what I mean.

Oh sorry, this was a thread about the support bands at the convention - whoops! :oops:

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:11 am

.......Same here. Quite enjoyed It Bites live, but not enough to spend money on CDs. - I was impressed with individual aspects of The Reasoning. Great guitarist, keyboards and a good vocalist with a bit of stage presence, but overall, there was probably only a couple of tracks that I could say I really got into.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Having never heard It Bites or The Reasoning before I tried to do my homework before the weekend and bought a CD of each. Didn't really like It Bites (sorry) and didn't go to their gig on the Saturday but LOVED the Reasoning cd, bought another, and was a complete convert to them on Sunday (and bought the new album). Hope to see them on tour. p.s. this was my first convention and hope it won't be 2015 before the next one!
Next

Full Version