Discussion, news and info on the forthcoming convention in Leamington Spa.

Re: Convention support acts

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Conan wrote:
JohnSReid wrote:I think the if the discussion so far shows anything, The Reasoning and It Bites were great choices as MOST fans liked at least one of the bands.

Spot on John! You can't please all of the people all of the time, but it looks as though Fish and Yatta got pretty close on this! 8-)

My personal votes for the next one (without being silly and suggesting Rush and Iron Maiden, for example!) would be Pendragon and Porcupine Tree. Or Spock's Beard. Or maybe Riverside..... Hmmmm. Tough choices! :lol:

Mark Wilkinson is a big fan of Riverside so they would be a good choice and then how about Arena and then Mike Pointer could come on for the encore of Grendel (if Fish and Mike can now get on)

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 pm

mileszippo wrote:
Conan wrote:
JohnSReid wrote:I think the if the discussion so far shows anything, The Reasoning and It Bites were great choices as MOST fans liked at least one of the bands.

Spot on John! You can't please all of the people all of the time, but it looks as though Fish and Yatta got pretty close on this! 8-)

My personal votes for the next one (without being silly and suggesting Rush and Iron Maiden, for example!) would be Pendragon and Porcupine Tree. Or Spock's Beard. Or maybe Riverside..... Hmmmm. Tough choices! :lol:

Mark Wilkinson is a big fan of Riverside so they would be a good choice and then how about Arena and then Mike Pointer could come on for the encore of Grendel (if Fish and Mike can now get on)

I would have thought that both Riverside and Arena are too big to support Fish - the same could certainly be said for Pendragon, Porcupine Tree and Spock's Beard (much as i would be happy with any of those five bands!)...these bands tour in their own right now, and are no longer in the "support" category, imo.

Now, one magnificent band which could do with some exposure is the amazing Haken....

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Thought It Bites were very good , missed The Reasoning sunday nite but saw them the monday previous to the convention with Touchstone (Another good band ) and think the addition of keith Hawkings to guitar has made them a much better live outfit.As regards support bands for the next covention , good call Tony for "Arena" (one of my favourite bands) , goin back to the assembly to see them in a few weeks :D

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:00 pm

I wouldn't mind who was chosen if there was another convention in the future.

As I said earlier, I wasn't too keen on It Bites, although, in honesty, I didn't hear much of their stuff. One of the things I really liked about the convention was that you could bob in and out whenever you liked. So we arrived a bit later in the evenings whilst the supports were on, but came in early enough to catch some of it. If I like it, I'll listen but, if not, you could wander around or do other stuff because it wasn't so ridiculously packed that you couldn't move. And the atmosphere was so good, it wasn't the end of the world if you didn't like the odd bit.

On the whole, the supports went down really well. If I could have a choice though, I'd like to have seen the band (?) - or duo or whatever they were - that were in Edinburgh - they were really good but I can't remember what they were called :oops: :oops:

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Lady41 wrote:I wouldn't mind who was chosen if there was another convention in the future.

As I said earlier, I wasn't too keen on It Bites, although, in honesty, I didn't hear much of their stuff. One of the things I really liked about the convention was that you could bob in and out whenever you liked. So we arrived a bit later in the evenings whilst the supports were on, but came in early enough to catch some of it. If I like it, I'll listen but, if not, you could wander around or do other stuff because it wasn't so ridiculously packed that you couldn't move. And the atmosphere was so good, it wasn't the end of the world if you didn't like the odd bit.

On the whole, the supports went down really well. If I could have a choice though, I'd like to have seen the band (?) - or duo or whatever they were - that were in Edinburgh - they were really good but I can't remember what they were called :oops: :oops:

Yeah, I liked them too Sharon. Moreso than the two at the Convention. - Debs was really taken with them and trawled the Internet for some CDs of them. - Can't remember their name though! :oops:

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:52 pm

arcademannequin wrote:Yeah, I liked them too Sharon. Moreso than the two at the Convention. - Debs was really taken with them and trawled the Internet for some CDs of them. - Can't remember their name though! :oops:

I seem to recall only part of the group was present - have I got that right? Was it Rising Souls? :? I had a quick google and came up with that and it rings a bell. Funny thing was that we were going to buy their CD but got side-tracked (my memory has its own sieve attached :oops: )

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Lady41 wrote:
arcademannequin wrote:Yeah, I liked them too Sharon. Moreso than the two at the Convention. - Debs was really taken with them and trawled the Internet for some CDs of them. - Can't remember their name though! :oops:

I seem to recall only part of the group was present - have I got that right? Was it Rising Souls? :? I had a quick google and came up with that and it rings a bell. Funny thing was that we were going to buy their CD but got side-tracked (my memory has its own sieve attached :oops: )

That definately rings a bell. - Yeah, I seem to remember that we only got an acoustic version of half the band! He had a great voice though.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Andyboy67 wrote:Thought It Bites were very good , missed The Reasoning sunday nite but saw them the monday previous to the convention with Touchstone (Another good band ) and think the addition of keith Hawkings to guitar has made them a much better live outfit.As regards support bands for the next covention , good call Tony for "Arena" (one of my favourite bands) , goin back to the assembly to see them in a few weeks :D

I will be there also, as also big fan of John Young Band another contender for support band maybe meet for a beer in the jug and jester

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:29 am

Def up for that Tony , We were goin in the J&J pre gig anyway and as im not driving ,good excuse for a few :D Not got a clue what you look like tho . Really need to sort my avatar out :?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:37 am

Andyboy67 wrote:Def up for that Tony , We were goin in the J&J pre gig anyway and as im not driving ,good excuse for a few :D Not got a clue what you look like tho . Really need to sort my avatar out :?

Me also can't seem to work out how to make picture small enough to upload
Next

Full Version