Discussion, news and info on the forthcoming convention in Leamington Spa.

Re: Grendel lives again....

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:24 pm

arcademannequin wrote:Beat you. Got home 20 mins ago, with Grendel still ringing in my ears! :D

Got back about 3.45 came home hmming MSH under my breath, bus driver gave me a funny look :?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:25 pm

mwelljester wrote:As far as i know Paul convention filmed from balcony for Future release . Still on way home 17miles from preston doing this on my Mobile not driving though :-)

Yeah, but you guys had a few extra miles to do before getting home. :roll: ;)

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm

mansell5 wrote:Does anyone know why Fish didn't wear the mask?

Where was the machine gun he was talking about in the opening session. I thought it was for the Crucifix Corner song!

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:47 pm

ulrichs wrote:

Where was the machine gun he was talking about in the opening session. I thought it was for the Crucifix Corner song!

Laying behind the Dalek! :lol:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:47 pm

ulrichs wrote:Where was the machine gun he was talking about in the opening session. I thought it was for the Crucifix Corner song!

It was backstage/in the dressing room I think - not part of the performance, just something that was at the venue.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:03 pm

arcademannequin wrote:

That's like saying why doesn't he wear face paint anymore? People change. - Anyway, he only wears the mask when shopping in Tesco's. ;)

Well not quite, the Grendel mask was there on stage. And the face paint was originally a mask, to hide his nervousness, whereas the Grendel mask is a distinct prop. But I accept people change, just wondered if he'd said anything about it.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:19 pm

I think it was more to do with this version being 30 years down the line and, whilst retaining its original 'punch', not necessarily all its authenticity, giving it perhaps a new 'persona'. After all, a lot of work went into rehearsing and perfecting it and I think maybe the mask would have just been too much of an attempt to make it the same as the original version, which it just couldn't be. As he said before he begun singing it, he wasn't even singing it in the same octave/key/voice and it was nerve-racking enough just performing it, without taking it over the top with the addition of the mask. If that makes sense, which I'm not sure it does. :?

Either way, I'm glad he left the mask out, personally.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:16 pm

I think they really enjoyed playing it. Frank was in his element. he really did it justice.
And Fish did a fantastic job bearing in mind that on the orginal he sings it about two octaves higher !
I heard rumour that they were going to play it twice and I wasnt keen on the idea but starting and ending with it was a perfect way to do it.
And having done all that rehearsing they deserved to have a second go !

It was quite a curve !

Full Version