Discussion, news and info on the forthcoming convention in Leamington Spa.

Acoustic sets

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Oh my, two amazing acoustic sets this weekend.

Yesterdays highlight was a beautiful and emotional version of Sugar Mice. It gets me every time and I stood at the last convention here in Leamington with the goose bumps, a lump in the throat and tears. Exactly the same this year. Just sublime and simply beautiful.

Today's set was a step-up imho. It just flowed and at times it was as tight as a duck's a**e, absolutely sublime. Torch Song seguing into Slainthe Mhath was glorious and the audience responded in kind.

I love that sound of the audience singing the song record perfect and Fish with his unique and emotional phrasing. Those two songs were a joy, but I was even more moved by the appearance of Our Smile which I had never heard live before (I think) and boy, did the guys nail it.

And then, omg, the rabbit from the hat as Fish and Tony Turrell delivered a truly sublime Raingods Dancing and Make It Happen. Tony, you're a star, note perfect, lovely rolling, hypnotic, keyboards and, just f**king amazing, Fish nailing the vocal big style.

Wow, my goodness, these conventions are special things indeed....
Thanked: 2

Re: Acoustic sets

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:32 pm

Raingods/ Wake-up Call as good as anything all weekend for me. Simply wonderful.
Thanked: 1

Re: Acoustic sets

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:58 am

Torch song was great but i am biased.not a highlight but more a stand out was mickey simmonds on saturday afternoon.some of his stuff was brilliant but like others have said its just a tuppenworth.

Re: Acoustic sets

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:46 pm

The acoustic sets were very different.
Mickey Simmonds turned Saturday's set into a comedy routine. Very funny. Its not often that we see Fish lost for words !
Thanked: 1

Re: Acoustic sets

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Have to agree. The addition of Mickey was superb and he really had me chuckling away :lol:

Re: Acoustic sets

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Lady41 wrote:Have to agree. The addition of Mickey was superb and he really had me chuckling away :lol:


Was that your dirty laugh behind me ?! :jester:

Re: Acoustic sets

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Teddynonose wrote:
Lady41 wrote:Have to agree. The addition of Mickey was superb and he really had me chuckling away :lol:


Was that your dirty laugh behind me ?! :jester:


Moi?? :girl_impossible: :angel:

Re: Acoustic sets

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Teddynonose wrote:The acoustic sets were very different.
Mickey Simmonds turned Saturday's set into a comedy routine. Very funny. Its not often that we see Fish lost for words !


O yes! I did not know him or what to expect and enjoyed it very much - may I suggest a Simmonds smiley - one that throws his hair back, please :)
Thanked: 3

Re: Acoustic sets

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:06 pm

pocketfraggle wrote:
Teddynonose wrote:The acoustic sets were very different.
Mickey Simmonds turned Saturday's set into a comedy routine. Very funny. Its not often that we see Fish lost for words !


O yes! I did not know him or what to expect and enjoyed it very much - may I suggest a Simmonds smiley - one that throws his hair back, please :)


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Acoustic sets

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:25 pm

arcademannequin wrote:
pocketfraggle wrote:
Teddynonose wrote:The acoustic sets were very different.
Mickey Simmonds turned Saturday's set into a comedy routine. Very funny. Its not often that we see Fish lost for words !


O yes! I did not know him or what to expect and enjoyed it very much - may I suggest a Simmonds smiley - one that throws his hair back, please :)


:lol: :lol: :lol:


That is a brilliant suggestion. :lol:

I know he messed about but some of his playing was incredible in that set! :D

Full Version