Discussion, news and info on the forthcoming convention in Leamington Spa.

The New Material...

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 am

Ok then, all you convention veterans!

Obviously ALL of the material that Fish aired over the weekend was excellent, but what are the opinions on the material from the forthcoming Feast of Consequences album??

Re: The New Material...

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:57 am

Enjoyed them all bar one, though to me they still feel a bit like work-in-progress. I'm expecting some changes.

Really intrigued by the narrative of High Wood. - Fish gave a really interesting and moving introduction to that track (or the part he played). You can tell he has been massively inspired by the subject matter. - When Fish finds his muse and inspiration, you know you are in for something special. :)

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 am

Really enjoyed both the new ones last night - a bit of refinement and add Calum Malcolm's production and I am very optimistic for the 'Feast'

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:00 am

Like the new ones really. Steves influence is good. He soundet during the soundcheck like a crossing of the young Jason Newsted and a Jazz bass player. This gives the songs an really interessting grove. I never liked the heavy, rammstein-like style of 13S.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:08 am

peter0027 wrote:Like the new ones really. Steves influence is good. He soundet during the soundcheck like a crossing of the young Jason Newsted and a Jazz bass player. This gives the songs an really interessting grove. I never liked the heavy, rammstein-like style of 13S.

Was Vantsis playing bass for the electric sets? :shock:

Interesting comparison with Rammstein... I was prepared to say how I disagreed with you, but listening to the groove on this trach, there are definite shades of Manchmal and Square Go in there!!

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:36 am

Really loved them. Especially the second one, All loved up, i think.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 am

Conan wrote:
peter0027 wrote:Like the new ones really. Steves influence is good. He soundet during the soundcheck like a crossing of the young Jason Newsted and a Jazz bass player. This gives the songs an really interessting grove. I never liked the heavy, rammstein-like style of 13S.

Was Vantsis playing bass for the electric sets? :shock:

Steve played the new and 13th Star tracks ('Square Go' awesome last night).

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:23 am

Crucifix Corner from The High Wood 'suite' definitely resonated. It had a real Celtic vibe to it and I am really looking forward to hearing it as part of the whole. Fish certainly does deliver when dealing with themes that are close to his heart and I think this work will do just that. I love it that he never shies away from the less comfortable parts of life, those things that have people taking to the streets, or the things that make us hang our heads in shame and disbelief, from Forgotten Sons on down, his unique lyrical take on the Fugazi world we inhabit.

I did not connect as strongly with the other songs, for no other reason than they were new and unfamiliar. All sounding good though.

Fish had earlier remarked that he considers himself a lyricist first and foremost and - how did he put it - a vaguely tuneful singer second. I think we all relate to his lyrics in a big way, so I am looking forward to those first listens with the CD liner open. Now you can't do that with iTunes... Call me old-fashioned. Really looking forward to Feast of Consequences.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:30 am

Completely agree, and Mark's artwork for Feast - despite being work in progress - looked fab, I like the various things found throughout such as the cells being a cage or a box while also being a DNA molecule.

Can't wait to see what else is in store and what changes.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:56 am

Liked 2 of them on first hearing. Of the other two, I think a couple of listens will be required but didn't actively dislike anything. Agree with Paul that there's a bit of work in progress but impressive nonetheless, particularly with High Wood, which is clearly emotive, and it showed :-)
Next

Full Version