Discussion, news and info on the forthcoming convention in Leamington Spa.

Re: The New Material...

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Lady41 wrote:
Conan wrote:Interesting that some people who were originally disappointed that there were only going to be four new tunes played at the convention are now actually saying that it was hard to take in new material! :D

Really? Perhaps there are posts on here that you can see, but that I can't. Odd that. :? ;)

Maybe I just read more of them than you do? ;) :lol:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Conan wrote:Maybe I just read more of them than you do? ;) :lol:

Well, yeah, you probably have more time on your hands than I do ;-)

:lol: :lol:

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:36 pm

A lot of thought went into the running order on the electric sets on both nights and the introduction of two new songs each night was perfect.

He started both night with his trump cards Grendel on Saturday and Script on Sunday. The audience noise after Grendel was incredible. Literally took the roof off !
But the momentum just continued so by the middle of the set we needed a rest from the jumping and singing and that was the perfect time for the new songs. High Wood was probably my favourite on first listen and I lioved Fish's introduction to the song. Fish does intros better than anyone. Simon Moston has been a great influence with the WW1 subject. The second new one on Saturday was quite rocky but could have done with being a bit shorter to make it punchier. It led to a few interesting discussions in the audience! I do like it when Fish rocks as it makes a nice change to the more intricate pieces.
Also as Steve Vantsis was up on stage it was a good opportunity to play 13th Star tracks Squarego (which I love), Arc and teh brilliant Dark Star, where Steve came to the front of th stage and rocked out which was good
The two new ones on Sunday were good.. The first one was also a little rockier (was that Feast of Consequences?) and I suspect will undergo a few changes before its finished). The "Other Side of Me" was also good and quite thought provoking after another excellent intro about finding your real self outside of a long term relationship which resonated with me.

Mark Wilkinson's artwork looks fantastic so I cant wait to get the final product next Spring :)

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Stunning performances, obviously I'm going to say Crucifix Corner stood out for me.
A real freaky feeling waiting to hear it for the first time. I did shed a tear as you can imagine.
The words capture the mood of 'the corner' perfectly, a place of 'salvation' last hope/cries for help. All would have passed this point on the way to High Wood. Poignant.
The music builds to the Cavalry charge brilliantly. 20th Deccan Horse & Dragoon Guards cut down in the fields by Wood Lane.
Can't wait to hear the other four parts, I suspect I'll be an emotional wreck.

Spoke to Foss afterwards and said I bet he'd wished I'd taken Fish to legoland instead :))))

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Moston wrote:Stunning performances, obviously I'm going to say Crucifix Corner stood out for me.
A real freaky feeling waiting to hear it for the first time. I did shed a tear as you can imagine.
The words capture the mood of 'the corner' perfectly, a place of 'salvation' last hope/cries for help. All would have passed this point on the way to High Wood. Poignant.
The music builds to the Cavalry charge brilliantly. 20th Deccan Horse & Dragoon Guards cut down in the fields by Wood Lane.
Can't wait to hear the other four parts, I suspect I'll be an emotional wreck.

Spoke to Foss afterwards and said I bet he'd wished I'd taken Fish to legoland instead :))))

I wonder, as I don't recall having read about it anywhere, if there will be a recurring theme and concept throughout the album, as the four tracks that have been revealed up to now all seem quite separate and individual, as good as they are.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 pm

A suite of songs for 'The High Wood'. I think the rest will be seperate. Think Raingods...

Full Version