Discussion, news and info on the forthcoming convention in Leamington Spa.

Re: Acoustic Grendel- Any thoughts?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 am

I agree.

I can't see how it would work acoustically, personally. And I think it's time to let it go now. It was a fantastic performance, which I doubt could be reproduced, to be honest.

I think the time has come to let it go and move on to other things now.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:57 am

Lady41 wrote:

I think the time has come to let it go and move on to other things now.

So does that also apply to Assasing, Script, Fugazi, Incubus............etc?

I do not think the odd airing would do any harm. Adds to a revolving tour setlist. On the Return To Childhood tour there was no support so therefore the setlist was fairly lenghthy (is that a real word?). I think it would have fit into that type of scenario.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:58 am

Now i have to say i was not to bothered about hearing it twice but by the time frank played the cords on sunday night i couldnt wait to hear it again an amazing weekend :D

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:20 pm

People will still shout for it at every gig so I'm afraid Fish hasnt exorcised that particular demon !!!

I think what Fish has achieved is demonstrating that he is now willing and able to take any song and deliver wonderful new versions whether electric and acoustic.

I'm sure that when Fish sat down and thought about his set lists he was definitely thinking about what people wanted to hear.
When they start to rehearse these old songs they must build up enthusiasm for them. That was very obvious with Grendel as we could see that they really enjoyed playing it.

I think Grendel is too long to be transformed into an acoustic piece and certain sections need the drums and soaring guitar solos.
But you never know. I never expected him to do Fugazi acoustically and that worked brilliantly.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 pm

So. In a nutshell.

Acoustic version - maybe not worth the effort.

Electric - whatever Fish decides to do, we will be happy. If he plays it again - brilliant. If he shelves it for the forseeable future - brilliant.

Does that about cover it? :lol:

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Conan wrote:So. In a nutshell.

Acoustic version - maybe not worth the effort.

Electric - whatever Fish decides to do, we will be happy. If he plays it again - brilliant. If he shelves it for the forseeable future - brilliant.

Does that about cover it? :lol:

Just about, yep! :lol:

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Spot on alan.at least i/we can say we were there.i know they were all great sets and songs etc,but i said before the convention that i never thought i would ever see it live and the saturday version was even more than i was expecting.what a way to open the set too.if they decided to put it into a tour set imo it would start to diminish the myth that surrounded it for 30 odd years.
Thought it was good that mickey apologised for all the times fish had abused fans who called for grendel that was way funnee!

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Aye indeed - Grendel is definitely a "convention thing" now if it ever comes back.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:21 pm

Chris D wrote:
Conan wrote:I kind of get the impression that this was Fish bidding a very public goodbye to old Grendel... :D

I thought the total opposite. Seeing how much they enjoyed playing it, and the reception they got, I think (hoping) it may pop up in future sets....

Well, now he knows it can work with his lower register. He's probably less afraid of it now. - Anyway, the crowd sang all the high notes! ;) :lol:

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:46 pm

When I think of Fish's history with Grendel it always makes me think of Robert Plant's aversion to playing Stairway to Heaven.
After always saying that he would never sing it again, he did actually play it at the reunion O2 gig, although you could tell that he wasnt totally happy singing it.
I think he is uncomfortable with the lyrics.

I wondered if Fish was uncomfortable with Grendel's lyrics however he seemed to be enjoying every word he sang at the weekend.

Quickly back to the main topic...

Can you really see Frank sitting on a stool playing Grendel on his acoustic with just Foss tinkling the ivories ???? I cant :?
Next

Full Version