Talk about Fish-related artwork, and show us your drawings and tattoos

Favourite Mark Wilkinson Cover

Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:28 pm

As its my 14,000th post on the forum :)

I thought I would mark the occasion with a new topic !

What is your favourite Mark Wilkinson artwork from any Fish or Marillion album

Mine has to be the Market Square Heroes cover.
When I bought it I was so impressed that my favourite band nw had this fantastic artwork and imagery.
I had a huge MSH advertising posetr on my bedroom ceiling and I even embroidered the cover onnto my gig jacket !
And it has always been my avatar on the forum :)

Re: Favourite Mark Wilkinson Cover

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:28 pm

I love "market square heroes":probably my favourite ;)

then I would say "assassing"(very dark),"misplaced childhood","vigil in a wilderness of mirrors"(so much details:amazing cover),"credo"(powerful),"he knows you know"(a bit terrifying),"sugar mice","internal exile","B sides themselves"(fascinating) and the all artwork from "13th star" ;)
8-)

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:21 pm

So, so many to choose from , so for a personal faves roll of honour: MSH, He Knows you Know, Assassing, Kayleigh, Sugar Mice (would have been better as the album cover for me, particularly as CaS was not a gatefold), State of Mind, Suits, Goldfish and Clowns, Dark Angel (on 13th Star), Perfume River, Masquerade in Silence, Thistle Alley, The Leaving, Great Unravelling (yes, I am very happy with my 'Feast' book :D ) ............

But, if I have to choose absolute favourites, then I would say 'Misplaced' for a striking album cover, while Dark Star is the painting I would go for as pride of place on the wall (well, everything to the right of the naked man !).

In all honesty there are very few I don't really rate- Thieving Magpie cover easily stealing that title.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Without doubt my favourite is "The Fool" 8-)

Followed closely by He Knows, MSH, Script and Feast :D

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Really difficult one this to choose an absoloute favourite, but I think if I was pushed I would choose He Knows You Know.

Followed by MSH, Script, Garden Party, Perfume River and out with albums i would probably choose, The Fool and The Xmas Jester from the farewell to 83 tour programmme/poster. 8-)

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Ooh, definitely 13th Star. - Just find the main cover art of the solitary figure staring out to sea incredibly atmospheric. - Such a moody and serene image, with all the deep blues. - Love how the calmness of the ocean nearer the figure becomes much more stormy around the ship.

Have this artwork on my wall. I can honestly stare at it for ages and almost lose myself. Never tire of it. :)

Also have a soft spot for the Misplaced Childhood cover because that's the one that got me into Marillion and Fish. Loved spotting all the little concepts and nods to the lyrics. Such iconic images.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:55 pm

I loved the first 5 single covers for Market Square Heroes, He Knows You Know, Garden Party, Punch and Judy and Assassing
along with the first two album covers Script and Fugazi.
Brilliant development of the jester imagery :jester:

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:50 pm

I think I'd say "He Knows, You Know" if had to say just one. It is so full full of emotion that bursts right out of the picture and tells exactly the feeling in the song.

Full Version